Choosing storage in Manhattan is not easy due to strict access hours, locations within Manhattan and the extortionate monthly charges. I’m going to give you a list of tips that will hopefully help you choose the right facility.
1. Check out the companies that offer the NYC storage. There are plenty of ways to do this but the best (in my opinion) is by reading customer reviews and testimonials online. Any business can write glowing reports about itself but the customers have used their services and will tell you the facts based on their own experiences.
2. After you found a storage company that suits your budget, make sure that they provide a guaranteed rate over the entire period of time you intend to store your goods. Some Manhattan Storage facilities use the bait & switch tactic of offering you an attractive monthly rate to entice you and then the rate is hiked with little notice.
3. Location, make sure that the NYC storage is really in NYC! You will be told there is room at the NYC facility and then told upon arrival that they are full and you should go to their Queens or Bronx facility.
4. Insist on climate control storage and make sure (get it in writing) that your unit will be climate controlled 24/7. Storing your goods in non-climate controlled storage can lead to damage from mold, dust and infestation.
5. Ask to see the room. If there are any overhead pipes or air conditioning units ask for a different room.
6. Last but not least, make sure the rate you got from your moving company covers the move into storage, the monthly storage fee and if the rate covers the cost of moving out of storage again. If you have taken valuation coverage on your move, check if it covers your goods while in storage?